Health Benefits of Massage
Massage is the manipulation of superficial layers of muscle and connective tissue to enhance the function and promote relaxation and well-being. Peer-reviewed medical research has shown that the benefits of massage include pain relief, reduced trait anxiety and depression, and temporarily reduced blood pressure, heart rate, and state of anxiety.
- Pain and Stress Relief: Relief from pain due to musculature injuries and other causes is cited as a major benefit of massage. In one study, cancer patients self-reported symptomatic relief of pain. Acupressure or pressure point massage could be beneficial in relieving back pain.
- State and Trait Anxiety: Massage has been shown to reduce state and trait anxiety.
- Depression: Massage has been shown to Reduce Sub-Clinical Depression.
- Blood Pressure and Heart Rate: Massage has been shown to reduce blood pressure and heart rate as temporary effects.
- Sleep Better: Massage has been shown to help improve deep sleep at night.