Five Important Things to Know Before Buying a Massage Chair
Massage has become a much-needed relief for some people, especially to those suffering from stress and sore muscles. Did you know that the American Pain Society and American College of Physicians suggest holistic massage as a means of alleviating chronic pain?
You can get the benefits of massage with the use of a massage chair. Massage chairs can provide a variety of massage styles to closely mimic the movements of professional therapists, for example, Shiatsu, kneading and tapping to name a few.
Instead of applying ice or taking pain medications, you can utilize a massage chair to obtain immediate pain relief. Many people use massage chairs to target strained back muscles. Although massage chairs are not meant to provide long-term treatment, such as for cervical disc ailments and arthritis, it can still help in relieving symptoms, such as pain and spasms. Nowadays, many physicians prescribe the use of massage chairs to relieve pain.
Before you purchase a massage chair, here are five important things you should be aware of:
1. Features to Look For in an Effective Massage Chair
Massage chairs used to be a very basic machine that would be limited to vibration and basic roller strokes for your pain relief. Nowadays, massage chair technology has advanced to the point where they can closely mimic the benefits and feel of a professional therapeutic masseuse’s hands. The advantage of a massage chair of course, is that you can enjoy the benefits anytime from the convenience of your own home.
Here are some important functions to look for:
- Kneading massage. It is one of the most important features of advanced massage chairs today. The action is also termed Shiatsu and functions with the help of kneading rolls. It works from the spine’s center while following an outward movement. You can compare it to two hands rubbing your back. This feature is very helpful in relaxing your fatigued back and relieving stress.
- Rolling. Another significant feature of massage chairs today is the rolling action. This is helpful in gently moving the bones of your spine while your muscles are stretched soothed. Basically, rollers carefully perform the rolling movement on your spine sideways, upward, and downward. Quality massage chairs will have this feature.
- Tapping. This is another important style that your massage chair should have. It is also known as the percussive massage. Besides giving you an amazing feeling, it can also promote proper blood circulation.
- Zero Gravity Recline. A full recline to 160 or 180 degrees with a slight bend in your hips and knees is considered the Zero Gravity position, and was designated by NASA to be the position that best alleviates pressure on your spine and joints. This will give you further enjoyment of the massage since you will be able to put much of your weight.
- Airbag Massage. A good modern massage chair will apply massage pressure to your shoulders, forearms, hips, calves and feet. This is generally done with the use of airbags. The important thing is that your massage chair has airbags to target these body parts. It is a common misconception that a higher number of airbags translates to a better massage.
Those are some of the more important features a massage chair should have.
2. Allocation of Space for Your Massage Chair
The area where you will put the massage chair may not be the first thing you consider but it is something you should think about. Because the therapeutic chair is made to recline for further relaxation, you will need to enough space for it to lean back. A quality chair will allow you to fully recline, so you can estimate that it will take up the length of an adult. Most massage chairs are about 6 feet or a bit longer when in the fully reclined position.
Many newer models now include an advanced feature called space saving, or zero wall. Chairs with this feature allow you to place your chair only about 2 inches or less away from the wall. When they do the recline, the chair will gently slide you forward and then recline you back. This can save you a lot of room compared to chairs that do not have the space saving feature.
Massage chairs without the space saving feature will generally require about 2 feet of clearance space between the wall and where you place your chair.
3. Durability for a Good Long Term Investment
It has always been imperative to find a massage chair that is durable and reliable. There may be cheap products around but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Apart from the possibility of replacement, chances are that you will be spending a lot for its repair.
Buying the best electric massager from a reputable brand may cost a bit more upfront, but it can often save you lots of money and stress caused by defects. A quality massage chair from a good manufacturer is a long term investment for your natural health and well being.
A quality manufacturer will provide you with service and parts as needed. Any service would be done by a qualified technician at your home so you don’t have to worry about shipping the chair out. Well regarded manufacturers also keep a warehouse of spare parts on hand just in case you will ever need them. And they will have a well staffed technical service department. Apparently, at Easy Massage Chair, you will definitely be provided with personalized support in case any problems with your chair arise.
4. What is Your Price Range?
Yes it is highly recommended to invest in a quality massage chair from a reputable company to provide with reliable service to your family. So it’s important to consider how much you should invest.
In general, cheap models from lesser known brands should be avoided. High quality, dependable chairs from good manufacturers generally start in the $2500-$3000 price range. This will get you a lot of bang for your buck.
As you move up in price, you can expect to get additional features and benefits including a smoother massage quality. Because most buyers are looking to benefit the health and well being, it is not recommended to short change yourself with a cheap chair.
To give you a good example, you have the Infinity Altera massage chair. With its discounted price at Easy Massage Chair, you can still enjoy its wide range of features. It will provide you zero gravity massage on the hips, arms, outer shoulders, and legs among others. Plus, it is made with some bonus features including built-in speakers for your iPod or MP3 connection. When it comes to budget, the key is to keep your budget at an amount that you are comfortable spending on your well being and stress relief. In general, you will get what you pay for.
5. Customer Service for Ongoing Support
Take note that purchasing a massage chair is not only about the product itself but regarding the supplier or manufacturer as well. Quality manufacturers have very low defect rates nowadays. But for good peace of mind, it is best to purchase a brand with a good reputation in the industry for providing reliable customer service.
The store you purchase from should also have a record of good customer service. And providing secure payment options is a must nowadays. Furthermore, you must also check if the business has been accredited, such as by the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
It is important that your ideal massage chair includes a warranty from a manufacturer that is well regarded. Some lesser known brands may offer a long warranty, but it may not be likely that they will even be around that long.
You should also look for companies that will keep its customer service lines open, such as through e-mail, chat support, or phone call.
Now that you are aware of some of the most important things to consider before purchasing a massage chair, you will be much better prepared. It can be a fantastic investment in your health and in feeling great, so knowing what to look for and what to avoid is important. As a friendly reminder, avoid the pitfall of being lured by a “too good to be true” price from a less than reputable manufacturer. This can not only waste your investment, it can provide you more stress when you are shopping for something to reduce your stress.
If you are interested in buying the best massage chair today, check out what Easy Massage Chair can offer you. Because they are licensed distributors of all the top brands, you can expect their objective recommendation for what will suit you best based on your wants and needs.
We're happy to make your shopping Easy.
Chat in our Live Support window below
Send us an Email